According to the American Academy of Dermatology, an estimated 50 million men and 30 million women in the US suffer from hereditary hair loss; millions more have hair loss/thinning hair related to stress, pregnancy, menopause, andropause, chronic illness and other reasons.
The two most common causes of hair loss in men and women are:
The most common cause of permanent hair loss in men and women. It is a genetic hair disorder which is slowly progressive and does not get better with age.
Usually there is a family history of pattern hair loss on one or both sides of the family in men and or women family members.
Telogen Effluvium is the most common type of reversible hair loss condition which is characterized by sudden and excessive generalized hair loss after a period of significant stress for example after childbirth, major illness, major psychological stress etc..
One in two men and one in 4 women suffer from hereditary hair loss or androgenic alopecia. Androgenic alopecia is the most common cause of permanent Very often the two present together.
The current treatment options for hair loss are divided into these categories:
- Medical Treatments- Topical and oral medications
- Non-invasive Hair Loss Treatments
- Minimally Invasive Hair Loss Treatments
- Surgical Treatments- Hair transplants
We offer the first three types of treatments to our hair loss patients with mild to moderate hair loss with great results in over 99% of treated individuals
Our approach to hair loss treatments for both men and women are:
- Medical History and Hormone Status Evaluation if Indicated
- Nutrition Optimization and Oral Hair Health Supplements
- Topical Hair Growth Stimulants And Products To Reduce the DHT Effect
- Low-Level Laser Therapy- LLLT
- PRP For Hair Regeneration In Men And Women
- PRP + ACell Treatment For Thinning Hair
More About LLLT Hair Loss Therapy
The first clinical laser to be FDA 510(k) cleared to grow hair in both men & women.
- LLLT improves hair growth through photobiomodulation.
- LLLT is a drug-free, chemical-free, side effect-free non-invasive treatment option for hair loss and hair thinning for both men and women.
- Improvements in hair growth from LLLT can usually be measured in three months, with visible improvement seen in six months. We have found LLLT to be moderately effective in very early and mild androgenic alopecia and as a valuable adjunctive therapy to PRP + ACell hair regeneration to enhance and prolong the results.
PRP For Hair Regeneration In Men And Women
PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma is obtained from your blood by processing your whole blood in an FDA-approved PRP kit to separate your platelets from other blood cells.
Your platelets are a type of blood cell that is responsible for your body’s healing response. Upon injury, your platelets release eight growth factors which set in motion the healing cascade to repair the injured tissue by regenerating tissue-specific cells.
Androgenic alopecia is a genetic disorder and going up against your genetics is no easy task. The PRP that works best for hair follicle regeneration has to be very effective with a high concentration of healthy, undamaged platelets.
We have found that Harvest PRP kit has worked very well for our patients. Harvest PRP kit yields PRP with a concentration of 4x-6x of healthy platelets.
PRP alone for hair regeneration is recommended four to six times as an initial treatment followed by one treatment every three to four months for maintenance.
ACell + PRP Hair Loss Therapy
ACell + PRP Hair Loss Therapy: This treatment involves injecting your PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) with ACell extracellular matrix into your scalp. 99% of our patients experience an increase in hair density and hair quality after a single treatment.
ACell extracellular matrix is obtained from porcine bladder lining. The benefits of ACell, when used with PRP for hair regeneration, are:
ACell acts as a matrix for your platelets in the treatment area for an extra period of time, which are otherwise removed by your venous and lymphatic system.
ACell increases the migration of your own blank cells or stem cells to the treatment area thereby increasing the number of hair follicles regenerated from your PRP +ACell treatment.
For PRP + ACell hair regeneration treatment we recommend starting with two to three treatments, two months apart followed by a maintenance treatment every eight to twelve months.
Because androgenic alopecia is a naturally progressive genetic disorder, the treatment needs to be repeated every 8-12 months to maintain results
Contact Dr. Naila Malik for your hair loss therapy in Dallas and Southlake before you lose any more hair. We can help you determine which treatment option is best to reverse your hair loss.
The above post was a guest post written and submitted by Dr. Naila Malik